Here is a full list of all Gemma Burford’s publications from 2000-2017.
Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Burford G, Tamas P, Hoover MK (2016). Can we improve indicator design for complex Sustainable Development Goals? A comparison of a values-based and conventional approach. Sustainability 8(9), 861. http://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/8/9/861 (open access)
- Burford G, Hoover E, Stapleton L, Harder MK (2016). An unexpected means of embedding ethics in organizations: preliminary findings from values-based evaluations. Sustainability 8(7), 612. http://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/8/7/612 (open access)
- Harder MK, Velasco I, Burford G, Podger D, Janouskova S, Piggot G, Hoover E (2014). Reconceptualising ‘effectiveness’ in environmental projects: can we measure values-related achievements? Journal of Environmental Management 139: 120-134.
- Harder, MK, Burford G, Hoover E (2013). What is participation? Design leads the way to a cross-disciplinary framework. Design Issues, 29(4): 41-57.s
- Burford G, Hoover E, Velasco I, Janoušková S, Jimenez A, Piggot G, Podger D, Harder MK (2013). Bringing the ‘missing pillar’ into Sustainable Development Goals: towards intersubjective values-based indicators. Sustainability 5, 3035-3059. mdpi.com/2071-1050/5/7/3035 (open access)
- Burford G, Velasco I, Janouskova S, Zahradnik M, Hak T, Podger D, Piggot G, Harder MK (2013). Field trials of a novel toolkit for evaluating ‘intangible’ values-related dimensions of projects. Evaluation and Program Planning 36(1): 1-14.
- Podger D, Velasco I., Amezcua Luna C, Burford G, Harder MK (2013). Can values be measured? Significant contributions from a small civil society organisation through action research evaluation. Action Research 11(1): 8-30.
- Burford G, Kissmann S, Rosado-May FJ, Alvarado Dzul SH, Harder MK (2012). Indigenous participation in intercultural education: learning from Mexico and Tanzania. Ecology and Society 17(4), 33. Open access full text: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol17/iss4/art33/
- Shim J-M, Bodeker G, Burford G (2011). Institutional heterogeneity in globalisation: Co-development of western-allopathic medicine and traditional-alternative medicine. International Sociology 26(6): 769-788.
- Willcox M, Benoit-Vical F, Fowler D, Bourdy G, Burford G, Giani S, Graziose R, Houghton P, Randrianarivelojosia M, Rasoanaivo P (2011). Do ethnobotanical and laboratory data predict clinical safety and efficacy of anti-malarial plants? Malaria Journal 10(Suppl 1): S7
- Burford G (2010) Citizen’s choice of preferred system of healthcare as a fundamental human right. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine 1(1): 22-25.
- Winterbottom A, Koomen J, Burford G (2009). Female genital cutting: cultural rights and rites of defiance in northern Tanzania. African Studies Review 52(1): 47-71.
- Bodeker G, Carter G, Burford G, Dvorak-Little M (2006) HIV/AIDS: traditional systems of health care in the management of a global epidemic. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 12(6): 563-576.
- Bodeker G, Burford G (2006). Medicinal plant biodiversity and local healthcare: sustainable use and livelihood development. Journal of Tropical Medicinal Plants 6(2).
- Burford G (2006) One birth, two worlds: a personal encounter with ‘traditional’ and ‘modern’ maternal health care in northern Tanzania. Midwifery Today & International Midwife 78: 56-59.
- Burford G (2006) Traditional medicine and skin care in Africa. Journal of Dermatology Nursing
- Bodeker G, Burford G, Chamberlain J, Bhat KKS (2001). The underexploited medicinal potential of Azadirachta indica Juss. (Meliaceae) and Acacia nilotica (L.) Willd. ex Del. (Fabaceae): a case for a re-examination of priorities. International Forestry Review 3(4): 285-298.
- Bodeker G, Jenkins R, Burford G (2001). International Conference on Health Research for Development, Bangkok, Thailand, 9-13 October 2000. Report on the symposium on traditional medicine, 9 October 2000. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 7(1): 101-108.
- Burford G, Bodeker G, Kabatesi D, Gemmill B, Rukangira E (2000). Traditional medicine and HIV/AIDS in Africa: a report from the International Conference on Medicinal Plants, Traditional Medicine and Local Communities in Africa (a parallel session to the Fifth Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity, Nairobi, Kenya, May 16-19, 2000). Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 6(5): 457-472.
- Burford G, Rafiki MY, Ngila LO (2001). The forest retreat of orpul, a holistic system of health care practised by the Maasai tribe of northern Tanzania. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 7(4): 547-551.
Bodeker G, Ong C-K, Grundy C, Burford G, Maehira Y (2005) WHO Global Atlas of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Text and Map Volumes. Kobe, Japan: World Health Organization Centre for Health Development (WHO Kobe Centre), 347pp.
Ong C-K, Hoeg E, Bodeker G, Burford G. Regional Overview – European Region.
Ong C-K, Bodeker G, Burford G. United Kingdom.
Bodeker G, Burford G (2007) Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Policy and Public Health Perspectives. London: Imperial College Press.
Bodeker G, Kronenberg F, Burford G. Policy and public health perspectives on traditional, complementary and alternative medicine: an overview.
Burford G, Bodeker G, Ong C-K. Financing.
Bodeker G, Neumann C, Ong C-K, Burford G. Training.
Shia G, Noller B, Burford G. Safety: issues and policy.
Bodeker G, Burford G. Conservation of medicinal plant biodiversity.
Bodeker G, Burford G, Ryan TJ. Skin and wound care: traditional, complementary and alternative medicine in public health dermatology.
Burford G, Bodeker G, Ong C-K, Cohen J. Musculoskeletal disorders.
Chapters in other edited volumes:
- xurford G, Hoover E, Dahl A, Harder MK (2015). Making the invisible visible: designing values-based indicators and tools for identifying and closing ‘value-action gaps’. In: RJ Didham, D Doyle, J Klein, VW Thoresen (eds.) Responsible Living: Concepts, Education and Future Perspectives. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 113-134.
- Burford G, Hoover E, Jarvis D, Harder MK (2014). Assessing group learning processes: reflections on using values-based indicators as assessment criteria with final-year undergraduates. In: G Wisker, L Marshall, S Greener, J Canning (eds.) Evolving Experiences: Articles from the Learning and Teaching Conference 2013. Falmer: University of Brighton Press, pp. 58-67
- Bodeker G, Burford G (2008) Traditional knowledge and spas. In M. Cohen & G. Bodeker (eds.) Understanding the Global Spa Industry. Oxford: Elsevier, 415-429.
- Bodeker G, Kronenberg F, Burford G (2008). Holistic, alternative and complementary medicine. In K. Heggenhougen & S. Quah (eds.) International Encyclopedia of Public Health, Volume 3. San Diego: Academic Press, 449-455.
- Burford G (2008). Tanzania. In C. E. D’Avanzo & E. M. Geissler (eds.) Cultural Health Assessment, 4th edition. Philadelphia: Mosby, 758-763.
- Etkin NL, de Madureira M do Ceu, Burford G (2004) Guidelines for ethnobotanical studies on herbal antimalarials. In G. Bodeker & M. Willcox (eds.) Traditional Medicinal Plants for Malaria, Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Willcox ML, Bodeker G, Burford G (2004) An overview of ethnobotanical studies on herbal antimalarials. In G. Bodeker & M. Willcox (eds.) Traditional Medicinal Plants for Malaria, Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Burford G, Ngila LO, Rafiki Y. (2003) Education, indigenous knowledge and globalisation. Science in Africa 21, http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2003/march/ik.htm
- Burford G (2002) `Traditional health care systems in wound management: principles and prospects’. In: Penzer, R. (ed.) Wound Care and the Skin. International Skincare Nursing Group, 26th-27th November 2001, Moshi, Tanzania: Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre. Southampton: International Skincare Nursing Group, 28-45.
- Burford G (2002) Checking into a bush hospital. Terrat: the newsletter of Terrawatu, 3, 5-6.
- Burford G, Ngila LO (2006). Intercultural education in a Tanzanian secondary school. COMPAS Magazine, July 2006, 15-17.
- Byekwaso M, Burford G (2002) Mobilising young people as custodians of oral heritage: a case study from Tanzania. Proceedings of the 13th Annual Conference of the International Oral History Association, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa: University of Natal.